Beware of the 10 foods that could poison your pets

Some seemingly innocuous treats we enjoy can present serious hazards for your pet pal.

    1) The unpleasant effects of alcohol

    Alcohol takes a much smaller dose to damage your pets liver and brain that it does in humans. Just 2-3 teaspoons of a beverage with a high alcohol concentration, is enough to cause a coma, or even death, to small dogs or cats.

    2) Be cautious with caffeine

    Moderate amounts of caffeine can lead to restlessness, rapid breathing, tremors and heart palpitations. If you suspect your pet is experiencing caffeine poisoning, you should seek veterinary assistance immediately.

    3) Chocolate is bad for your pets

    Chocolate contains methylxanthine theobromine which is toxic to dogs and cats. Beware of gifts that contain chocolate in the festive season as its ingestion can cause vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, seizures and even death!

    4) Crust me bread dough is harmful!

    Bread dough expands in the stomach, which can lead to a bloated or even twisted stomach in pets. Fermented yeast produces both carbon dioxide and alcohol. If absorbed into the bloodstream it can cause a drop in blood sugar, blood pressure and body temperature. Symptoms can include; vomiting, bloating, and collapse.

    5) Garlic and onions: a bigger risk than smelly breath

    Onion and garlic can cause damage to red blood cells, making them more likely to rupture. Symptoms can include; stomach upset, mouth irritation, and more commonly; pale gums, increased breathing or drooling, and vomiting or diarrhea.

    6) Grapes and raisins and the risk of kidney failure

    Grapes and raisins can lead to acute kidney failure in cats and dogs. Vomiting and/or diarrhea can be experienced within 6-12 hours of consumption. In severe cases, kidney failure develops within 24-72 hours of the initial ingestion. If you believe your pet has ingested grapes or raisins, you should seek urgent veterinary advice.

    7) Beware of expired food

    Mouldy food can be risky to your pet’s health. They contain toxins, which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, seizures and delirium. So, make sure your pet isn’t an active participant the next time you decide to clean your fridge!

    8) Xylitol is dangerous and more common than you’d think

    Xylitol is an ingredient in sugar-free gum and other household products such as mouthwashes, toothpastes and vitamins. It can cause disorientation, seizures and even liver failure.

    9) Macadamia nuts and their uncomfortable side effects

    Macadamia nuts can cause cats and dogs; fever, joint stiffness, vomiting, tremors. You may even notice you pet has difficulty walking, especially in their hind legs. These symptoms can last up to 48 hours.

    10) Avocados are a bird’s worst nightmare

    Avocado is not actually poisonous to dogs and cats, but avocado pits can be a choking hazard! However, for most birds, the persin contained in avocados is toxic. Symptoms can be; breathing problems, inability to perch, liver and kidney failure and even death!

     

    If you’re worried your pet has eaten anything harmful, you can video call or chat message with our experienced online vets who can assess and give advice on what to do. A call or chat is just £15. You can read more about the service here.

    By | 2018-08-06T15:50:23+00:00 January 19th, 2017|Cats, Dogs, Keeping my pet healthy|